Work continued this week, with the largest effort centered on the Amphitheater reconstruction, however, other work was completed throughout the day use area. I have included pictures of the recent work. [PICTURES LINK]
- Picnic table placement has been completed and all of the old picnic benches have been removed. The benches are currently anchored with a single ground strap, but a second ground strap will be added in the weeks ahead to keep them from migrating off the hardened picnic pads. This includes the group picnic sites which will be available for reservation. Contact the front desk at the Summit Ranger Station for more details on this new program and when it will be available.
- Fans were installed in the bathrooms which are planned for winter use. This will allow for better movement of heated air from the interior chase into the rooms open to the public and prevent the freezing problem that was encountered last December.
- The roof edges on all bathrooms were modified to provide better long term weather protection.
- Dry stack rock walls were placed in the turn-around at the end of the day use area and near the Pines bathroom.
- Underground conduit was placed to provide service for the flood lights, low level seat lighting, stage lighting, and sound system wiring.
- Grading activity was mostly completed and base rock is being placed in the seating area.
- Placement of stage accent boulders and construction of the fire pit has begun .
- Forms and structural steel are being placed for the stage platform.
HIGHLIGHTS OF NEXT WEEK’s ACTIVITIES
- Concrete for the upper and lower stage of the amphitheater will be poured.
- Installation of the amphitheater seat supports will begin.
- Work will begin to remove the lower fishing platform, rip rap the culvert outlet at Beach 3, and remove beach obstacles (stumps and small boulders) within the summer swim zone (10’ below high water). This was delayed due to permitting issues which should be resolved today.
Please note that the upcoming construction activities are approximate and continuously change as weather and unforeseen conflicts are encountered. These conflicts may cause delays and change the schedule. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call.
Tim Hughes, PE
Stanislaus National Forest
19777 Greenley Road
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 532-3671 ext. 280